Tuesday, February 21, 2006

IBM RAD 6.0 Linked Utility Jar BUG

Trying to figure out what the best solution is for the dev team to not put .jar files under version control, I discovered the Linked Utility Jar option.

This looks great, only does it work?

The answer is NO. Why? I don't know. I will tell you what we did.

We are developing an enterprise application for a client. In the EAR we include linked utility jars that refer to a jar on a location outside the workspace and outside of the application classpath. When I try to run the application inside the WebSphere Test Environment I get ClassNotFound exceptions.

When I copy the jar file as a utility jar it works fine in the WTE.

So I got curious. I changed the utility jar back to a linked util jar and used the export function of RAD6. Rad6 builds an ear with a COPY of the jar !!!
This means that the linked utility jar in combination with WTE doesn't work and is a bug. I am definateley going to report this to IBM.

Once the bug is fixed by IBM I will post it here.

Workaround: copy the jars in the utility jar folder of the ear. Update the .cvsignore file to ignore the resources (if you use CVS). Now WTE works again.

2 comments:

  1. Did you ever have any luck with this? We're having the same issues... RAD 7, same problem. Good old IBM.

    ReplyDelete
  2. jonovision_man,

    As i explained in my blog, I have worked out a workaround. It's been a while since I worked with IBM tooling, currently I work at a company that only uses eclipse and jBoss.

    Did you try to follow the workaround tip i provided in my blog?

    ReplyDelete